Thursday, December 6, 2007

4 Months Eh? Moving On. Empty.




Well, I finally am packing my bags. It seems like just a couple of days ago I was packing for Switzerland. It honestly hasn’t seemed like 4 months. Time goes by so fast… too fast. I want it to stop, slow down.

This has been an amazing first part of my exchange year. The perfect start for me. In such little time, I have somehow managed to adapt to a new culture, make friends that I will have for the rest of my life, and even learn to live with a new family.

But here is a good thing.. I am leaving my host family when things are going well. I really feel good here. Really do. I have been so blessed to get landed with the Hinter family. We had a couple rough spots.. but could I expect it to be perfect? And it was those times that got us here. I think it was necessary to go through that so we could move on. In examining myself at that time, I think I grew too. Like today, in coming home I was able to just hang out in the kitchen with my host mom talking. And she and my host dad and I all looked at the pictures I had printed. I cant say I am one hundred percent comfortable in their home… but it was more than liveable, I enjoyed it. And glad that as I pack, I honestly only have happy thoughts. Not once has, “Thank God I am leaving this family.. finally!” crossed my mind.

Today my host brother was watching TV, so I joined him. And all of a sudden, he asked what I wanted to watch. If I wanted to change the channel. That meant so much to me. I don’t know how to explain it. But if you knew my host brother you would understand. He is a sweet kid, but I didn’t expect him to treat me like that at the end of our time. I thought things would get worse but instead, it is ok. I mean, we don’t really talk a lot and I am sure he doesn’t mind me leaving, but we are doing fine.

Yep. The Hinter family. So long to them. They were a really good first host family for me. They gave me a solid foundation to base my exchange year on.

And now, I have to move on, literally, whether I want to or not. And you know what? God has something in mind for me in the next host family too. So I am excited to see what he has in store. Who knows? I admit I am a bit nervous, but not a lot. I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best. That way, I can not be disappointed and unprepared.

Well.. my room is a utter mess now, things everywhere. But in 48 hours it will be empty.

Empty.


But my life is… full?


(by the way, this is a fun post to read.. my last one before leaving for Switzerland)

No comments: